PORT NORTH SNOW EMERGENCY AND PARKING RESTRICTION GUIDELINES
New legislation was passed at a public hearing held on September 2, 2015 enacting parking restrictions during snow emergencies. It requires all vehicles to be removed from the street when 3 or more inches of snow are anticipated. Village announcements of a snow emergency declaration are sent in advance of pending snowfall via our emergency alert system.
The snow emergency parking restriction is applicable to all Village streets except:
Mill Pond Road; East side of Waterview Drive, and Soundview Drive only between the cross streets of Dock Lane and Waterview Drive.
Residents may stack their cars in their driveways, on lawns, and share driveways with neighbors.
We urge all residents to follow and inform their neighbors of this new law in the interest of safety for our Village. Failure to adhere to the parking restrictions can lead to a summons of up to $250. A copy of the law is available to view on our website www.portwashingtonnorth.org under “Departments/Emergency Management/Winter Storms”
To receive announcements of when a snow emergency is declared, please register with our emergency alert system at www.northshorealert.org.
A few reminders:
- Roads must be kept clear for plowing and accessible for emergency vehicles. Vehicles in violation create a hazard and are subject to police. enforcement. Please avoid all unnecessary travel during this time.
- When shoveling do not put snow in the streets. It is dangerous, illegal, and requires re-plowing.
- Report downed wires or power outages to the PSEG mobile app.OR visit PSEGLINY.COM. and goto “report or view outage”. OR call PSEG Long Island’s Customer Service line at 1-800-490-0075,
- If a snow emergency is declared on a garbage pickup day, do not put garbage or receptables in the street. Also check with our Garbage District to inquire if pickup has been suspended. Their number is 516-883-4447.
- After the snow, property owners are required to clear walks for children, walkers and Post Office deliverers.
- If you are or will be away please make arrangements with a neighbor or contractor to clear snow and check in with neighbors that may be in need of assistance.
- Do not forget to clear Fire Hydrants and School Bus Stops near your home.